Infections that we find in the:
There are several infections we see when there has been sexual contact with your genitals (oral, vaginal or anal sex). Some of them are present without symptoms so the patient does not know he/she is infected.
- Mycoplasma genitalium
- Mycoplasma hominis
- Ureaplasma urealyticum
- Ureaplasma parvum
- Trichomonas vaginalis
Technique used: PCR (nucleic acid amplification test)
- The PCR test is without a doubt the best for detecting these infections
- The machine looks for the bacterial DNA, and if it finds it, it then makes millions of copies to give a positive signal. This is how it can detect even low levels of bacteria.
Test peformance & window period: If you have no throat symptoms, I recommend you wait 14 days after the last sexual contact before doing this test to achieve optimum detection
Queries? WhatsApp and we’ll write back
Type of test:
- MEN: urine sample without having urinated in the previous 2 hours
- WOMEN having their period: urine sample without having urinated in the previous 2 hours
- WOMEN not on their period: vaginal swab that you can take yourself. It may surprise you to know it’s easy and painless. I’ll explain how to do it when I send out your test request form. The laboratory personnel will be there to help you too.
Results available in: as our laboratory PCR machines are overwhelmed right now, results may take up take up to 7 working days. But in the majority of cases we will get the results back to you before this.
Where do I get tested?: When you purchase this test you will asked to choose a laboratory from more than 100 possible centres around Spain where your sample will be processed.